Ever wonder how much a tonneau cover weighs? Most truck beds can easily haul 1000 lbs or more and a bed cover won’t come anywhere near that so it shouldn’t be a concern in terms of it causing a problem, but it’s something that’s good to know.
So as you probably know there are many different types of truck bed covers, all having different weight ranges. In this article I’ll go over some average weight ranges and some real examples of different tonneaus and how much they way according to the manufacturer.
A few examples of popular tonneau covers and how much they weigh
The below weights are estimates and weight ranges for these specific bed covers, other brands and types of tonneau covers may vary. This is just a small sampling of what’s out there but it does give you an idea of what to expect in terms of how much a tonneau cover weighs. Soft bed covers will probably weigh less than half of a hardcover and be anywhere from 15 to 30 lbs. Hard covers will weigh anywhere from 50 lbs to 100+ lbs.
*cover weights vary for different truck beds so estimates are given
Soft tonneau covers: 15 – 30 lbs
- Tyger Auto T3 Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover – 20 to 30 lbs
- Tyger Auto T1 Roll Up Truck Tonneau Cover – about 25 lbs
- Gator ETX Soft Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover – about 24 lbs
- TruXedo TruXport Soft Roll-up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover – about 15 lbs
Hard tonneau covers: 50 – 110 lbs
- BAKFlip G2 Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover – about 71 lbs
- Rugged Liner E-Series Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover – 50 to 70 lbs
- RetraxPRO MX Retractable Truck Bed Tonneau Cover – 80 to 90 lbs
- UnderCover SE One-Piece Truck Bed Tonneau Cover – 80 – 110 lbs
How much weight can a tonneau cover hold?
Well that obviously depends on what type and brand of tonneau cover you are talking about. For the most part though, soft bed covers like roll-up and folding are not meant for holding weight. While even most hard tonneaus are just not designed to carry weight on top of them, some hard bed covers claim that they are strong enough to stand or walk on but even so I would be very hesitant to do so.
Having said that, some bed covers are specifically designed as load bearing tonneaus, like Renegade Truck Bed Covers. These are in fact very nice bed covers but expect to pay a premium for one, $2,000 to $3,000.