Gone are the days when your only option to protect items in your truck bed was a cumbersome truck topper. Now you can keep the sleek look of a pickup truck while having a secure covering on your truck bed.
Hard tonneau covers are sturdier than a soft vinyl option and are easy to install. You can fold it out of the way for large loads and lock it into place when you’re carrying precious cargo. Styles include folding and rolling models, as well as more expensive retractable covers.
Tonneau covers are designed in specific sizes for different models of pickup trucks. If you have a Chevy Silverado, read on to find the nine best hard tonneau covers for Chevy Silverado.
In a rush? Here’s a quick comparison of our top 3 picks for the Chevy Silverado:
- Clamping system with one finger release & automatic locking
- No drill installation
- 5 year warranty
- Heavy-duty aluminum panels
- Automatically locks when closed
- 3 year warranty
- Relatively affordable price point
- Easily remove the entire cover in minutes
- Ships totally assembled
- 1 Best Hard Tonneau Covers for Chevy Silverado
- 1.1 1. Xcover Low Profile Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 1.2 2. Rugged Liner E-Series Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 1.3 3. Gator EFX Hard Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 1.4 4. Extang Solid Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 1.5 5. UnderCover Flex Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 1.6 6. BAK BAKFlip G2 Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 1.7 7. BAK BAKFlip MX4 Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 1.8 8. BAK Revolver X2 Hard Rolling Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 1.9 9. Syneticusa Aluminum Retractable Tonneau Cover
- 2 Tips for Choosing a Silverado Hard Tonneau Cover
- 3 FAQ
Best Hard Tonneau Covers for Chevy Silverado
After checking out a variety of hard tonneau covers for Chevy Silverado, these nine rose to the top. Each one has special features that make it stand out but weigh the pros and cons before you invest in one.
Best low profile tonneau cover for Chevy Silverado
The Case for the Xcover Low Profile
The Xcover Low Profile tonneau cover fits on the inside of your truck bed, so it’s hardly noticeable to people passing by. It has a matte black finish that looks nice with any color truck.
This cover is so sturdy that it can handle up to 500 pounds of weight. When you’re loading or unloading your truck, you can put your supplies on the cover without worrying that you’ll damage it. This is nice in case you’ve ever used your truck as an impromptu ladder as well!
- Unique Clamping System & Theft Protection
- Durable & Easy Installation
- 5 Years Warranty
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- Most affordable hard tonneau cover on the list
- Easy installation using clamps and screws
- Some people noted that there’s no weather stripping along the sides, so leaks might occur
Best hard folding tonneau cover for Chevy Silverado
The Case for the Rugged Line E-Series
The Rugged Liner E-Series tonneau cover is solid-core, sturdy aluminum that clamps onto your truck bed. It’s already assembled when it’s shipped, so installation takes no tools and hardly any time at all.
In addition to the locking panels, there’s a tailgate lock you put into place for more security. The panels have a slightly glossy finish, but it’s not high-shine. They are sleek enough that you can drive with them folded up and not worry about your rearview being obstructed.
- Resilient Panels
- Easy On and Off
- Fully assembled design
- Ships fully assembled for fast installation
- Very affordable hard tonneau cover
- Includes a 3-year warranty
- Shows wear and tear as the aluminum dents easily
Best hard tri-fold tonneau cover for Chevy Silverado
The Case for the Gator EFX
These panels are sturdy enough and weather-resistant enough to handle heavy snow with no bending or leaks. It’s a flush-mount cover, so you’ll install it inside of the bed’s edges, keeping your truck’s profile streamlined.
Gator offers a 3-year warranty on their products, so you’ll have plenty of time to try out this cover and see if it works for you. If anything goes wrong, contact customer support for assistance or a replacement cover.
- Easy install and low profile design
- Tough truck bed protection
- 3-year warranty
- Low-profile cover doesn’t interrupt your truck’s sleek lines
- Heavy-duty aluminum panels are scratch-resistant
- Includes a 3-year warranty
- Leaves a gap on some Silverado models, so double-check the dimensions
Best hard folding tonneau cover for Chevy Silverado
The Case for the Extang
While many hard tonneau covers on this list are aluminum or fiberglass, the Extang cover is made of automotive-grade polymer. The cover arrives fully assembled, so you just need to tighten the clamps on the edge of your truck bed.
Double-check the measurements of your truck bed before you order this cover. You’ll have the option to choose three different truck bed lengths between two-years-long spans of Silverado models.
- Dents and scratch resistant
- Enhanced security
- Ultra-tough panels
- Polymer panels are dent-, scratch-, and weather-resistant
- Comes assembled, so you can install it in less than five minutes
- Watertight seals on panel edges prevent leaks
- Reviewers say the clamps strip easily during installation, so work carefully
Best tri-fold tonneau cover for Chevy Silverado
The Case for the UnderCover Flex
The UnderCover Flex Hard Tonneau cover has a glossy finish that looks sleek with any color Silverado. The aluminum panels have automatic latches, so you know your cover locks as soon as it closes.
When you open the cover, you can use the included prop rods to keep it open without having to lean it against your cab. Even if the cover is closed, you can open and close the tailgate with no interference. All of the panels are edged with weather-proof seals to prevent leaks.
- Easy operation
- Lightweight and easy to install
- 3-year warranty
- Dual prop rods lift the cover up without bumping the cab
- Automatic latching system keeps the cover locked when closed
- Includes a 3-year guarantee
- Package doesn’t include hardware for installation
Best durable tri-fold tonneau cover for Chevy Silverado
The Case for the BAK BAKFlip G2
The BAK BAKFlip G2 is an aluminum tonneau cover that folds or flips up for easy access to your truck bed. This is one of BAK’s lowest-priced options on the market for one key reason: the core.
The G2 has a thin foam core that gives you a little extra thickness and support compared to other hard tonneau covers. This tonneau cover has a glossy finish, so if you love to see your truck shine, this will only add to your overall look. But if you prefer matte covers, check out what else BAK has to offer.
- Enhanced functionality
- Durable aluminum panels and an automatic latching system
- 3-year hassle-free warranty
- Glossy black finish with UV protection and scratch resistance
- Weather seals along the perimeter to prevent leaks
- Holds 300 pounds of weight on the cover
- BAK is more expensive than the previous brands on the list
Best ligtweight tri-fold tonneau cover for Chevy Silverado
The Case for the BAKFlip MX4
It’s no mistake that this is the second BAK tonneau cover on the list. Their designs are streamlined and look like they’re a natural part of your pickup. The MX4 is a step above the G2, so if you liked the last cover but wanted a little something more, check this one out.
The BAKFlip MX4 uses sturdy aircraft-grade aluminum, so you know your cargo will stay secure. In terms of water protection, the kit comes with weather sealing caps to prevent leaks. There are even prop rods that you can use to hold it open while you grab what you need.
- Built with aircraft grade aluminum sandwich panels
- Relatively light, yet offers heavy duty durability
- Provides outstanding security
- Matte black finish looks sleek on the truck bed
- Coated with UV protection and scratch-resistant finish
- Tri-fold cover design is easy to open and close without much effort
- More expensive than the previous tonneau covers on the list
Best overall hard roll-up tonneau cover for Chevy Silverado
The Case for the BAK Revolver X2
Yes, there’s even a third BAK tonneau cover on this list. If neither of the first two strikes your fancy, this might be your lucky day. This cover offers everything you love from the BAK brand with the added convenience of a rolling cover.
The manufacturer overlaid aluminum slats in a way that looks sleek but rolls out of the way easily when you need to access your cargo. The slats are so thin that you’re still able to see out of your back window.
- Capable of withstanding up to 400 lbs
- Unrivaled convenience
- 3-year warranty
- Rolling design doesn’t compromise security
- Can withstand 400 pounds of weight on the cover
- Made of sturdy and durable aluminum
- Most expensive BAK cover on the list
Best hard retractable tonneau cover for Chevy Silverado
The Case for the Syneticusa
You’ll love the convenience a retractable cover delivers. The Syneticusa cover, made from textured aluminum, is easy to install on your Silverado. To take advantage of the drainage tubes, you’ll need to drill holes along the bed’s edge.
You can lock the cover in place anywhere along the truck bed. This is a great benefit if you need to carry something taller than the cover. You don’t have to worry about it completely retracting and exposing anything else in your cargo space.
- Easy to install and durable
- Low-profile patented design; Waterproof
- Support up to 500 lbs. of evenly distributed weight
- Low-profile design fits into your truck bed
- Locks anywhere along the truck bed for partial or complete coverage
- Retracts into a unique storage canister to protect it from damage
- More expensive than some folding covers
Tips for Choosing a Silverado Hard Tonneau Cover
If you want to find the best hard tonneau cover for Chevy Silverado, there are some features you should consider.
There’s a lot to think about when you break down the different types of tonneau covers. Hard covers offer more security, while soft covers only give you privacy.
Within both hard and soft covers, you have to think about the ease of use. Some covers fold up in three or four segments. They’re relatively easy to get out of the way and then fold back into place.
Others roll up, which you might find easy to use but difficult to install. Retractable covers are top-of-the-line, and the price reflects that. They’re hard to install but pay off with their features that simplify your work.
Not all tonneau covers are created equally. Some covers are to keep the contents of your truck bed out of sight, which is important. But if you’re looking for the best hard tonneau cover for Chevy Silverado, you probably have security on your mind.
These covers are more durable than soft vinyl covers. They’re usually made of aluminum or fiberglass. This makes them more secure since you can lock them. You can even keep them in place when your tailgate is open.
Making sure you get a tonneau cover that fits your truck bed is key. Just because an item’s description says it fits your type of truck doesn’t mean it’s true. Measure your truck bed so you know the exact dimensions. Compare it to the item’s listing and read reviews to see what trucks other people own.
There are different types of fit and finish when it comes to tonneau covers. A lot of people like flush-mount covers because they keep your pickup truck looking sleek. But other options with a higher profile still look sturdy and are incredibly secure.
In terms of finish, your priority is going to be durability. You don’t want a cover that looks good but doesn’t hold up in bad weather or extreme conditions. Look for UV-coated covers that are also scratch-resistant so you know your cover won’t show signs of wear and tear after just a few uses.
Hard tonneau covers can get expensive depending on the brand, materials, and special features. It’s worth investing in since it’s something you’ll use every day. You want to get something that’s easy to install and fold out. You also want something that looks good on your truck.
But it’s not worth breaking the bank for a top-of-the-line retractable cover when a more affordable folding option will do. There’s a delicate balance between practicality and showiness, so choose something that’s going to fit your needs and your budget.
Before you order a hard tonneau cover, make sure you have all the facts. The quick answers to these frequently asked questions will help you make the right choice.
What Is the Most Durable Tonneau Cover?
BAK’s BAKFlip and Revolver covers are some of the most durable tonneau covers available, which is why they’re featured on this list multiple times. The brand has a great reputation overall and offers warranties on their products.
Their covers are easy to install and tuck away quickly for easy access to your cargo. Countless reviewers mention that their tonneau covers still look brand new even after a year or more of use.
What Is the Most Waterproof Truck Bed Cover?
While no truck bed cover is 100% waterproof, the UnderCover Flex Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover comes the closest. It has weather stripping to seal off any cracks and crevices. Reviewers frequently mention how they never see any water or moisture in their truck beds, even after leaving their Silverado out in a storm.
Does a Tonneau Cover Increase MPG?
Yes! Wind gets stuck in open truck beds, causing resistance. When you have a tonneau cover over the truck bed, the air sails right over it. Your truck is more aerodynamic with a tonneau cover installed. You’ll get better gas mileage and save money on each visit to the gas pump.
Is a Hard Tonneau Cover Worth It?
Absolutely! If you’re interested in truck accessories, this is one you can’t skip. These covers make your truck look rugged yet streamlined, keeping the original profile of your truck intact while providing privacy and security. You can lock up your tools and other valuables in the truck bed without worrying that someone can reach in and grab them.
With hard tonneau covers, you get the added benefit of being able to store things on top of the cover. You can also keep the cover down even when the tailgate is open. This gives you privacy even while you have easy access to what’s inside the truck bed.
These covers are also waterproof, so they’ll protect your cargo from the rain and weather. With so many different types of covers on the market, you’ll find a hard tonneau cover that looks great on your truck and suits your usage needs.
When you’re ready to buy the best hard tonneau cover for Chevy Silverado, any option from this list will get the job done. Narrow your choices down according to your budget and any special features you’re looking for. Know that investing in one of these hard tonneau covers will protect anything you’re hauling while keeping your truck looking sleek and powerful.
Cover Image: Jesse Seniunas / Shutterstock